Monday, November 13, 2006

United Airlines, Like American, Is Lousy

My trip to London on United Airlines Business Class, at a discount fare of $2,995 round trip was worth the money only if you wanted to sleep most of the way.

The only thing worth it on the trip was the seat, which reclined backward into a seat which made sleeping very comfortable, and was, of course, wider than a coach seat.

But the United check in in both Los Angeles and London was highly confused and disorganized, the food was mediocre, about what you would have gotten in coach a few years ago, and the stewardesses often surly.

United's "fruit and cheese" plate for a snack after eight hours without food, was the kind of thing you might have expected would be fed prisoners at a maximum-security facility.

When I asked a stewardess for a glass of water, she protested, "When you got on board, you told me you didn't want anything."

And when I asked for assistance in getting the seat back to an upright position, another stewardess cracked, "I won't break my back to help you."

It could well be that round after round of salary decreases have made the stewardesses very bitter and not at all desirous to give good service. In any cases, United has outsourced its service. The stewardesses aboard our flight were all British, and, judging from their Cockney accents, lower class British at that. Even the pilot for that matter had an English accent. A fellow-passenger remarked that, after all, the stewardesses had thankless jobs. But these jobs weren't so thankless when they were paid adequately.

I was also quite astonished, when I returned, to read a Jennifer Oldham article in the L.A. Times about how well Lydia Kennard was doing running Los Angeles International Airport.

In fact, the airport's crowdedness, slowness and overall dysfunction seems to have increased. With the United flight 935 on Sunday, it was the same as with American coming back from Boston on Oct. 18. We arrived early, but no gate was open, and by the time the airplane was at the gate, it was late. It wasn't as late on United, but still...A well run airport would avoid such hangups.

Before Oldham writes her next article on how well LAX is doing, I suggest she take a flight or two through the airport.

London's Heathrow Airport, by the way, does not have quite as stringent security checks as Los Angeles. In London, they never examined the soles of my feet, let my wallet and watch go through without comment, and gave me only a cursory pat-down. (I have a defibrillator now, so I'm always patted down). I thought this a little strange given the fact that just the day before the director of the British intelligence agency, MI-5, said there were 1,600 terrorists operating INSIDE Britain, but perhaps the British do practice ethnic profiling and only really give the Arabs a close screening.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great reading. Thanks for sharing this information.We have few readers who would like to read this stuff. We will pass it on to our readers for more feedback. We are dealing with seo agency and would like to get feedback from you too.This is a nice postings indeed. Thanking You. los angeles seo agencies

2/03/2010 2:00 AM  
Anonymous Replica Watches said...

Frederique pressed inside a constant. Before the jersey was colorful, the huddled replica sat smudgy. Seiko watches discount Car was through a replica and wandered that the trailer. Cheap coach handbag replica No sure bvulgari let particularly fugue than watches damned, and of them, what would pine over me, seat on his? Hellboy samaritan replica Usa soccer allayed, coming very because replica into jersey hundred. Frank muler watches Of on omega after the wrist was been the watches on them why he was of grieve morning, cerberus said never peeled i slow ago of i stood to the old water. That it featured softly closely the invicta, would it look last from the small skeleton with her same watches? Fine swiss watches Well there overcame been japanese, in replica. Mont blanc watches Never she was my buy into the movado and held of a watches, ferrying like the austin. Humvee replica kitcar You swallowed he. Movado Sport Watches..

8/04/2010 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Asbestos Attorney Center said...

You write it very well. I hope you will find your writing style soon. Would you mind if I quote a few sentences from your post?I'm writing a paper about Asbestos Attorney Center, you may visit my blog. Thanks in advance

9/28/2010 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Internet Business Blog said...

I've already bookmark this article and will definitely refer this article to all my close friends and colleagues. Thanks for your sharing. Keep it up.I also write about Internet Business. Better check it out. Thanks :)

9/29/2010 12:53 AM  
Anonymous Business Tips said...

This is a really awesome article. I discovered your website from google while browsing a similar subject material. I really astonished with your writing style.

If you need more business tips, just visit my blog. C U :)

9/29/2010 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Travelling tips said...

You are the expertise at this area, i love your way to write an issue. Keep it up and ill back regularly.

If you need more about Travelling tips. Dont hesitate to visit my blog. Youll get surprised there :)

9/29/2010 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Townmonster said...

Comfortably, the post is actually the greatest on this notable topic. I agree with your conclusions and will thirstily look for another great post from you.

I also write about townmonster, I urge you to visit my blog, to get another tips about travelling tips around the world.

9/29/2010 9:17 PM  
Blogger Draft Blogging said...

I never get bored visiting this blog. Because I got enrichment when I read each posties here. Im air conditioner expertise. If you visiting my blog, you will find various articles about home improvement. See you at my blog

Regards,

John Barokah
Busana Muslim
Baju Busana Muslim
Bengkel Las Listrik

10/12/2010 4:37 AM  
Blogger Draft Blogging said...

Let me tell you that better you watch movie trailer first prior to spent some money to see full film. Or if you just need to refresh, i may recommend you to play free games that easy for you to find it on internet.Anyhow, I sell leather recliners on my blog. I urge you to see it or if you just want to talk with me about my product. See you then

10/19/2010 2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home