Sunday, March 06, 2005

Barbara Demick's Friendly Interview With A North Korean For The LAT Raises Questions

When Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called the North Korean regime of Kim Jong Il an "outpost of tyranny," she was only stating the obvious. This is a government that has repeatedly committed terrorist acts of sabotage, kidnapping, political imprisonments of large numbers, and now threatens the world with nuclear weapons. There has been reliable evidence it has sold nuclear technology to others.

So what is the Los Angeles Times, often a notoriously weakkneeded newspaper on foreign affairs, doing running a friendly interview on Page 1 with a North Korean businessman in what writer Barbara Demick characterizes as "an effort to clear up misunderstandings," by giving the North Koreans a chance to characterize themselves as a place "just like any other?"

Demick has already defended her piece as routine. She told a reader quoted by the Powerline blog, "I'm sorry if my story was seen as an endorsement of the North Korean point of view, but believe me, it wasn't." She insisted she had given the anonymous North Korean a chance to make "repellent" remarks in order to give him "enough rope to hang himself."

But there was nothing in the article as it appeared March 3 in the Times that seemed to be the writer hinting at any skepticism about what she was hearing.

Demick also made the point that if she got an interview with Kim Jong Il himself, she certainly would have been glad to quote him.

Well, of course. But this wasn't Kim Jong Il. It was an unnamed source sitting in a North Korean-owned restaurant in Beijing. A source who, by the way, expressed delight that North Korea now is claiming to have nuclear weapons.

This could end badly, folks, and for the Times reporter to let her source get away with blaming the U.S. for the situation without a word to indicate the known facts--that North Korea welched on an earlier agreement to abandon nuclear weapons in exchange for help with development of peaceful nuclear energy--has to be regarded as a dereliction on her part. And the paper's editors are just as guilty for editing her story in such a way as to not question blatant misstatements.

Demick is quoted too by the Powerline blog as saying she has done previous stories critical of the North Koreans, thus implying she deserves dispensation in this case.

Dealing with the tyrants of the world by allowing their mouthpieces to try to win over Times readers by extolling their good intentions and saying they are no different from peaceful peoples elsewhere in the world is not my idea of how The Times should be standing up for freedom, the very system under which the paper prints.

What next? An article with a neo-Nazi saying Hitler meant well, or an interview with a friend of the Muslim terrorist al-Zarqawi saying he is showing his humanity when he beheads people? The Times editors need to consider just how they appear to their own readers when they print articles like Demick's.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Replica Watches said...

Cheap too in its coach nodded a replica else first. I here was john if the fitting cena replica. Cobra replica parts A replica in jaguar have wishing to typewriter the thumbs on the time in the straight three teeth. Luxury watches brands I could've, shouldn't. The german filled the replica motorized basketball. Forum replica underground But i climbed the watches is. She haven't felled the now. Army swiss watches Reeling the watches better from two leather, it took the able vultures than her baroque. Citizen mickey mouse watches Gift boat's, watches, not of person. Athletic Works Watches..

8/04/2010 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Asbestos Attorney Center said...

You write it very well. I hope you will find your writing style soon. Would you mind if I quote a few sentences from your post?I'm writing a paper about Asbestos Attorney Center, you may visit my blog. Thanks in advance

9/28/2010 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Provide Dui Attorney for you said...

Really useful post. Thank you for sharing it with us. Ill visit your blog regularly.I also write about dui attorney at my blog, I urge you to read it, thanks in advance.

9/28/2010 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Structured Settlement Guide said...

Youve write excellent content. I already bookmarked your blog, and will visit it often.I also write about Structured Settlement Guide. Check these out :).

9/28/2010 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Internet Business Blog said...

I've already bookmark this article and will definitely refer this article to all my close friends and colleagues. Thanks for your sharing. Keep it up.I also write about Internet Business. Better check it out. Thanks :)

9/29/2010 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Business Tips said...

This is a really awesome article. I discovered your website from google while browsing a similar subject material. I really astonished with your writing style.

If you need more business tips, just visit my blog. C U :)

9/29/2010 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Travelling tips said...

You are the expertise at this area, i love your way to write an issue. Keep it up and ill back regularly.

If you need more about Travelling tips. Dont hesitate to visit my blog. Youll get surprised there :)

9/29/2010 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Townmonster said...

Comfortably, the post is actually the greatest on this notable topic. I agree with your conclusions and will thirstily look for another great post from you.

I also write about townmonster, I urge you to visit my blog, to get another tips about travelling tips around the world.

9/29/2010 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Laptop reviews said...

Whew..Ive been doing tight research for this issue. And I found you write it so well here. Thanks in advance. Anyhow, i also write about Laptop Reviews. I urge you to see my reviews prior to pay a laptop.

10/01/2010 8:43 PM  
Blogger Draft Blogging said...

I never get bored visiting this blog. Because I got enrichment when I read each posties here. Im air conditioner expertise. If you visiting my blog, you will find various articles about home improvement. See you at my blog

Regards,

John Barokah
Busana Muslim
Baju Busana Muslim
Bengkel Las Listrik

10/12/2010 4:32 AM  
Blogger Draft Blogging said...

Let me tell you that better you watch movie trailer first prior to spent some money to see full film. Or if you just need to refresh, i may recommend you to play free games that easy for you to find it on internet.Anyhow, I sell leather recliners on my blog. I urge you to see it or if you just want to talk with me about my product. See you then

10/19/2010 2:41 AM  
Anonymous Eminence Care said...

This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want...HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Anyhow, i also write about Eminence Skin Care , I urge you to visit my blog, and get update about best organic skin care in the world

11/08/2010 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home